Tuesday 8 July 2014

Tell All Tuesday ~ Featured Artist: Jessica Brogan

Hi guys, 
tooooooooodays tooosday, 
so that means we have a new insightful artist interview happening here
so sit back with your bevrrrrage of choice and enjoy seeing art through another artists eyes for a while =)

Tell us a little bit about yourself & what kind of artist you are.
I am a mixed media artist. I specialize in collage and art journaling. I run a popular international ATC swap. Despite the growing list of publications I have featuring my artwork, I consider myself a Writer above all else. My art is something I do for my sanity -- I need to create. Sometimes it's a project, sometimes it's for a magazine and sometimes it's just a mess that I need to make while something works itself through me emotionally. I really love art journaling and I'm so glad it's as popular as it is nowadays. But writing and photography are also deep art forms for me and I think of, and invest in them all with my energy and practice.


What is the biggest challenge you personally face as an artist and how do you overcome it?
The biggest challenge that I face is in wanting to have control over my time - to have daily freedom - and this means making a monetary living at my creative endeavors. To overcome it, I've learned and pushed myself to grow as a business, to invest in myself, to branch out into e-courses and other projects that give me more leverage, but are still authentically me, and are true to my passions and art forms. This has meant living with my mother and my small child, it's meant answering uncomfortable questions to nosy new friends who want to know "how do you live??" and it's meant recognizing that I have had help, but that I don't need to feel ashamed of that. My son's father has opted out of parenting, so he pays me in child support. I have the choice to a) get a job and not really have to worry at all about money, but also not have a lot of free time, or control over my time OR live off child support plus any endeavors of my own. I've chosen the latter, so yes, sometimes it's tight. Yes, sometimes I hear a voice in my head saying I'm doing something wrong. But, I'm working hard every day for my dreams. I did not abandon my child -- he did, and this is the unfortunate "blessing" of the circumstance. I parent 100% and ache for my son, but we are able to live off of my art and child support combined. My goal is to make enough via my creative endeavors that I can store away that child support for the future for Liam, or for us to take special vacations together. 


What advice would you offer to any perspective new artist?
You'll have to learn to walk a fine line between taking in inspiration and finding all sorts of artists to admire.....and not being overwhelmed, intimidated and talking yourself out of every making anything period because you've swamped your brain with so many examples that are much farther along than you. Try new techniques out, even ones that you think aren't your cup of tea. EVERYTHING is a learning process. Don't let anyone get in the way of your creative time...most of all yourself. 


Do you think you have achieved a uniquely recognisable style as an artist, or do you find it a struggle to find your own style?
This is the honest truth -- finding my own style. I have many friends and FB acquaintances who say they could identify my work anywhere, but I know I am a long way off from having a truly identifiable style. This frustrates me to no end. Sure, it's fun and probably a blessing that I can be versatile in my art, but in researching and just plain observation -- people like artists who have a definitive style. So I try to work towards it, pray for it to come, and not beat myself up for it. I think it's probably true that my wardrobe/closet reflects the same issue! 


Tell us where can we find out more about you & your art?
You can find out more about any of my unique offerings here. I especially love new friends on Facebook, and of course, new friends are always encouraged to check out the super popular Card Deck Swap (It's international!).

Thank you so much Jessica for sharing your thoughts and artwork =) I found so much of what you said inspiring, especially your advice for new artists...which I wouldn't call myself, but I still struggle with the overwhelm issue you spoke of - and I just want to mention that because I think it's important for new artists to know that 'older' artists can still struggle with the exact same things. I think we probably just get better at dealing with it via giving ourselves a break when we do feel some of the more negative emotions a creative spirit can bring, and understanding it's part or the process/no big deal. And I just want to say too regarding following your dreams it is not only supremely inspiring for anyone reading to hear but the best example for your son too.

I'm looking for artists, 
DO YOU WANNA BE FEATURED???
Email me or click the link to find all the details here =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...