Tuesday 24 September 2013

Tell All Tuesday ~ Featured Artist: Judy Holland

Hi guys, 
we are on the final artist interview of Sept can you believe it?
Thank you to those that after the last TAT sent me get well wishes, I'm feeling much better now & have begun to feel my arty bone twitching again. So hopefully I should have a post, perhaps even a vid for you tomorrow, till then enjoy this weeks featured artist interview =)

Tell us a little bit about yourself and what kind of artist you are. 
My road into art actually started when I was a child I was always creating something artistic from plays with costumes (that I put on for my parents), to making all kinds of things for my family. My mom was always letting me get stuff to make my “projects”, as I called them. She would take me to craft fairs and art shows for me to get my art fix. But, it hasn't been until the past couple of years that I considered myself an artist. A couple of years ago my family started going through some really rough times and I started using art to dig inside myself to find expression and comfort. Then one day it just hit me, “I am an artist”. I need to do art. And I have been striving to become an artist who sells my work and teaches others. I believe art is a true expression of our inner selves. I live near the coast in North Carolina out in the country. I have four Silkie chickens named Faith, Hope, Joy and Charity and a Black Royal Palm turkey named Fred, as well as a trained rabbit named Max who roams my house. I am married to a wonderful man who supports me 100%. We have four grown children and two grandchildren. 


What is the biggest challenge you personally face as an artist and how do you overcome it?
The greatest challenge I face is myself. I have always questioned my ability and whether someone else will like my work enough to buy or want to learn from me. To overcome it I just decided one day that I just needed to move forward. What was the worst thing that could happen anyway, no one would like it or buy it, that is their choice. I just had to accept the fact that not everyone is going to like me or my stuff and have learned to be okay with that. I am a huge goal setter and love to see what I have accomplished over a given period of time. So I said to myself, self if you don’t do this you will never know if this is really the true you. So just do it. Failure is only a matter of perspective. 


What is your heart’s greatest desire for your life as an artist?
To share it with others. I would love to learn some ways to be more effective about getting it out there, as well as making up more classes to teach. Right now I primarily teach children. I have an art class going 3 days a week with around 130 children. We are making junk journals, it has been an interesting challenge, but very fun. I want to own my own business one day. I have this great idea that I am believing will come into existence one day with lot’s of perseverance and faith. I just want to keep learning and striving to be the best I can be. 


What do you most wish your art to achieve? 
Hope and healing for those who need it. I want my art to bring things to people to minds and hearts, whether that is Joy, excitement, sadness, hope, awe, fun and laughter. I want to have my art and my teaching to be a way to help others express themselves or find themselves in my stuff. 


Tell us where can we find out more about you and your art? 
I have a blog, a twitter and a pinterest account. Although I am not very savvy at any of them. I am learning!

Thank you for sharing your art and wisdom Judy. Out of your whole interview this is the line that struck me 'So I said to myself, self if you don’t do this you will never know if this is really the true you.' Partly because I found 'So I said to myself: "self "...' funny, but because it is kinda what I said to myself a couple of years ago and also because it was followed by 'Failure is only a matter of perspective.' Yes, Yes, YES!!! Thank you! I think this is what ALL of us who put ourselves/our artwork out there and share have to say to ourselves. And then get on and do it...

Want to join a TATer??
Email me or click the link to find all the details here =)

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed meeting Judy today, although I'm late to the TAT this week. LOVE her art and the heart that is shared through the art and teaching to the children. Gives me warm fuzzies there. :-) Thank you, Judy ... and Jenny! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow "failure is only a matter of perspective", how true that is. I enjoyed your interview and your artwork. I wish you much success! I'm oi to your other sites.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...