Tuesday 4 March 2014

Tell All Tuesday ~ Featured Artist: Angelina Slaymaker

Hi guys (I can't believe it is this already but...) Happy March!!

I'm sorry that having been busy the last month with Journal Workshops I have not been around much but there has still been feature Tuesday posts happening =)
so let's get on with this one...

Tell us a little bit about yourself & what kind of artist you are
I guess I will start by introducing myself, my name is Angelina Slaymaker. I live in Washington state usa. And if I tell the truth I am 37 years old. I have had the blessing of having a disability called Osteogenisis Imperfecta (Brittle Bones). Some may not view this as a blessing but it has afforded me the time to grow as an artist. As to what kind of artist am I? That is truly hard to narrow down, I love to work with so many thing's. Right now I guess I would say mixed media plus. I also work with polymer clay, Draw, Paint, etc.….


What is the biggest challenge you personally face as an artist and how do you overcome it?
Space…..There is never enough of it. I always have painted paper and scraps and cardboard and well everything stacked everywhere. I don't have a separate craft space so I have always said 'my bed room is a craft studio with a bed'.

On a personal note I always have a hard time taking a complement on my work. It is very hard not to always say: oh it's not that good. I always need to work on that. I also find it hard to know if I'm a crafter or an artist. I never know where I stand.


What is your greatest personal achievement either in your art, or because of it?
This question really got me thinking. I have been doing one form of art or another my whole life. I spent much of my time growing up in cast and in wheelchairs so I had the time to learn. And as I have gotten older I continue to try to learn all I can about all different art forms. And while I feel that I have achieved many things I have set out to do I think one of the best Is Not being satisfied with what I already know, and always being willing to try what's next.


What advice would you offer to any perspective new artist?
I have had many people tell me they have no talent. Unfortunately this stops them from even trying. First of all it's not all about the finished product it's about how you feel while your making it. About letting go of everything and just not thinking. And when you do that often people find that they have a talent they never let themselves find.


Tell us where can we find out more about you & your art?
I can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/iceteacrafts/ As well as on Pinterest. And I can be reached at iceteacrafts@gmail.com

Thanks for sharing Angelina, amen to the space thing but having recently put up a discussion board on Journal Workshops to share pics of our art spaces I've realised that's it's actually the norm to be limited on the space we can attribute to our art. All the lovely scrapbooking room tours that are the size of a small department store, with as many supplies as to fill a department store, are the exception, not the reality and I think that's nice. For some reason I like creating a lot more in my cramped tiny indoor studio than my slightly more spacious outdoor one, which I just tend to chillax and do bits and pieces in, so way to go 'craft studio with a bed', it works and you're creative there & that is much better than having ten times the space that is never used!

Do you want to be a featured TAT artist??
To be featured email me or find all the details here =)

Much love

2 comments:

  1. Pleased to meet you Angela!! I adored your work and laughed out loud at the darling "little chocolate donuts" piece -- love it! LOL Thank you for sharing your work and yourself here. Jenny, thank you too -- always enjoy the TAT's! Gosh, its amazing how one can rearrange and with creative thinking, pack even more into a limited, set space. We artists know how to rock that feat! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Miss Angelina, I sympathize with you on lack of space. I'm in my home as well, and every room gets used for art. Take a look at my living room "studio" photos here www.takingitpersonally.wordpress.com
    -Becky (TAT Artist from January)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...