Tuesday 27 November 2012

Tell All Tuesday ~ Featured Artist: Sachi Shah

Hi guys I've a great Tell All Tuesday interview for you today, I think you'll find it very romantic ;) I'd have to check my older computer but I think this week we have hit the 6 month mark of TAT interviews, which is pretty incredible! Whoop, go artists! However my interview-ready inbox is now running low so if you want to be featured & help me keep this series running NOW is the time to do it! Once people stop sending me their stories & artwork to share with regular consistency I am closing this feature so if you want your voice heard shout it out to me asap! Now this weeks interview is the third teenager I think we have featured and my, oh my, if in a beautiful dream could come wrapped in a gorgeous package I think this interview is it - you'll know what I mean when you read it. Please enjoy this stunning interview from a stunning heart:

Tell us a little bit about yourself & what kind of artist you are
My name is Sachi, and I am 13 years young. Art has already played an act of thievery upon my heart- and I am beyond grateful it has. I am fascinated by the intricate ironwork of typewriters, the symbolism of birdcages, and the amount of wonder and comfort books can provide. I enjoy artists such as Gustav Klimt, Carson Ellis, Camilla Engman and of course- Vincent Van Gogh. I wouldn't classify myself as a 'type' of artist, as I believe we are all wandering souls who paint in order to feel. I do however, tend to create mixed media artwork and love bookbinding (credits to Jenny for allowing my to do so). I prefer painting on wood as it has this texture and sometimes the tree rings show through and it creates the most beautiful and subtle effect beneath all the layers of paint. All in all, I'd consider myself a mixed media artist who still has a long way to go. 
What is the biggest challenge you personally face as an artist and how do you overcome it?
I suppose my biggest challenge is not allowing myself to be exposed to different art as much as I could. My parents have great access to art galleries around the city, and know artists personally, but I never take that to advantage and I feel I'm holding myself back because of that. I want to go to art galleries every weekend, and come back feeling infinite because I've seen so much soul - but I don't. Perhaps it's because I think the internet will be enough to sustain my inspiration, but I know I need to go and see the real thing if I want to improve. Similarly, I feel like I restrict myself to one kind of art only, and that is mixed-media. This is the age I should be trying everything. Nothing yet is set in stone, so I may as well see what's underneath those stones before opportunity is lost in the dust and wonder that is this Earth. 
What is your heart’s greatest desire for your life as an artist?
I want to live in Paris. I want to live in the beautiful and dreamlike city that is Paris. I remember going two winters ago, and was captivated by the magnificent architecture and the snow that fell atop everything, it refused to stop embracing the lampposts and sidewalks. I know that once I develop my skills, I will live there in a matter of years. Art will take me places, I am beyond certain it will. I will live in a tiny apartment with wrought iron windows and a little balcony overlooking the city. I will type letters everyday on my Olivetti typewriter, and I will drink coffee. I will paint and paint and paint, until my fingers are edging exhausting but I am edging completion. 
What is your greatest personal achievement either in your art, or because of it?
I think it's given me many opportunities such as this one. I also have an art exhibition soon held at a art gallery where people can buy artworks for christmas presents or whatever, and that's great. I've almost completed my collection for that, but school is slowing me down with all the tests and exams. I just need a break to recollect and sigh in peace. My aunt is an artist, and she bought quite a few of my artworks so I feel quite achieved in that aspect as I've earned money through my art. I do not, however, like the feeling. My room walls are bare now, and I cannot stand that. I guess I'd rather have the paintings than the money. Art has helped me see. Clarity was brought about in the blurriest of times, and when the world ceases to exist, I will remain within my paintbrush strokes, and typed up letters.
Tell us where can we find out more about you & your art?
I have a blog where I post some artwork, but its not the best quality photos. I'm usually rash and use my phone to snap quick pics of the work. But here is the link nonetheless- http://tigers-have-found-me.tumblr.com/ Charles Bukowski quotes anyone?

Thank you so much for sharing Sachi, not only is your work glorious but I love your open heart & clear ambition. Art is obviously your passion and will always be integral to your life. To pick up on your points in your answer to your biggest challenge I think you feel like there are certain things you feel you 'should' be doing, but I do not think you need to be so hard on yourself regarding visiting galleries or what materials/types of art you 'should' be trying. When I lived in London I took advantage of visiting art galleries and museums when I could but you know where I have been the most prolifically creative? It was when I moved outside of London - because I no longer had so much inspiring art from my surroundingsthe inspiration came more directly from inside me. Besides art is not just what is hung up on a wall of a building marked 'gallery' it is around us everyday, in everything we do and your surroundings will inspire you, whether or not that includes online influences or more 'physical' ones. As for what you 'should' be doing in your art, well my dear your work is fantastic and as far as I'm aware mixed media is all about mixing it up, or at least that is what it is supposed to be...I know we dub 'mixed media' as a certain style of art now, but in reality the root of it is not about what 'look' is created but the fact that it is created from a variety of materials. If you are creating mixed media then I think many people would agree you ARE trying different things already. Again wonderful interview Sachi, you've such a beautiful way of seeing and I wish you every success for your arty dreams in the future =D

So once again if you want to be a featured artist and keep this series going email me, you can find all the details here =)

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview. Inspired by your passion and confidence that art will be your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing interview! If you are creating pieces like this at 13 then you have great things ahead of you. Beautiful work and thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very talented just from what I've seen from these photos! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. unbelievable ... a great young ARTIST ... wonderful!!!
    Good luck dear Sachi - great ART!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, such incredible work at such an early age, you truly do have talent and heart and it shines through so brightly. Thank you for sharing and good luck in your future :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...You are incredibly talented Sachi...Thanks a lot for sharing your amazing work...God Bless..!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such amazing work and amazing thoughts from a very talented young woman. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The way you have expressed yourself in the form of your writing as well as your art work, shows there is a soul very much worth knowing. Thank you. Such wisdom at a very early age is so rare. Joy and light................

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am absolutely stunned by the maturity of this young woman's work. And her passion, introspection and gravitas just comes through her words as well. Great advice from Jennibelle too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sachi, I am impressed by your work and reading your interview shows a grounded personality! May all your dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sachi, I am impressed by your work and reading your interview shows a grounded personality! May all your dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My, My, What Wonderful Talent for one so Young. The Depth of your Art and Maturity of your Writing certainly belies your Age. You are very obviously extremely Talented and I Truly Believe we will be hearing about you in the not too distant Future. But Darling One Very Important Thing I know at the Moment you Feel it holds back your Creativity but no matter what Sweetie DO Please make sure that you do Finish your Schooling. You will have many years after that to go to Paris and wherever else you dream of going and you will be so glad you did this later on down the track. You are an AMAZING young Woman and I hope all your Dreams come true.......

    ReplyDelete
  13. SACHI SHAH- your personality has brightened my dreary day. My dear child it is amazing, for a young child in her youth like you. I can feel the depth, in your inspiring work. Sweetie you will be FAMOUS! I hope to hear more from you in the future. I am sure our paths will cross as I am a tumblr artist who finds your work amazing.Do not fret my dear we will share our creativity together soon, as I will contact you via tumblr. I think you are very inspiring and you remind me much of a virginia wolf like persona. You remind me of my own daughter, who much like you is very creative and inspiring individual. Our paths will cross soon.
    Your friend,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...