Tuesday 20 November 2012

Tell All Tuesday ~ Featured Artist: Phoebe aka JandrAthala

Hello lovely creatives
I get shocked every time I come to prepare the Tell All Tuesday interviews for you that another week has gone by so quickly, and then I marvel at the fact there are still artists wanting to take part & share their experiences, struggles and hopes with us. So as it's Thanksgiving this week let me just say a big THANK YOU to everyone that has taken part so far, and give a shout out to those that have not yet, but are thinking about it (who are still being shy) to say DO IT, email me! What do you have to lose? I don't bite I promise ;) lol 

This week it's an artist that I'm betting many people may already know, because I've never known someone who can get around like this gal can (I'm talking in our internet space here of course, tut, what were you thinking?!), she is such a positive, active force in our art community and it's a pleasure to have her as this weeks featured artist, please enjoy Phoebe's interview:
Tell us a little bit about yourself & what kind of artist you are.
I always find this type of thing hard to answer.... because I keep thinking that someone that knows me would give better answers to that... But.. I am an animal lover (especially dogs, and especially Golden labs - but I love ALL animals), I'm a vegetarian. And I am a creative being... I am mostly self thought, but have taken a few art classes.... and a correspondence art course.... I love to try new-to-me mediums.. I don't really fit into "one category"... but I guess "Fantasy Artist" is the closest.... I love paper crafting, coloured pencil drawing, mixed media - art journaling (my current obsession), amateur photography, and acrylic painting the most, but I have been carving my own stamps, making artist wire and bead creations, cutting my own stencils, and etc.... And hope to learn to carve wood, someday. I really don't know what else to say... 

Oh! ... and my name is Phoebe, AKA: Athala, or JandrAthala, or Athala Miley. (I would like it to be simple and the same name everywhere, but due to account complications and etc... I have had to use different ones).
What is the biggest challenge you personally face as an artist and how do you overcome it?
I have many challenges, but my biggest one is that I can't keep up with myself! I have too many ideas and want to participate in too many creative things... And each day, several more ideas and inspiration come to me.... It gets Overwhelming, and often leads to my not accomplishing anything at all - because I get stuck trying to figure out which one to work on first. ... Or Feel stifled - because I am missing something (material, space, know how- etc..) to be able to complete the one I really feel like doing. I sometimes, successfully overcome this, by choosing the project with the closest deadline (oftentimes self imposed) - or 'Highest Priority" (like a sympathy or get well card for example)... OR just by working on the one I am MOST in the mood for (and have all that I need to do so).

Many times, I have several projects in mind that seem to have equal levels of desire/priority to be created.... which causes me to get stuck again. Often, I will create an abstract or do something in my art journal - Just so I'm creating SOMETHING. And I have to write down my ideas and scribble little doodles and notes... so that I won't forget... and to preserve some of my sanity... - but I often have forgotten some of it that I can never quite get back so if I can't work on the idea right away... that project will often be "different" than the original idea - which sometimes bugs me, but usually I figure it's ok... Half the fun is in writing the idea down anyway.. And that makes the fact that many will never be created, ok too.
Do you think you have achieved a uniquely recognizable style as an artist, or do you find it a struggle to find your own style?
Kind of both... I do have my own style, but the more I am influenced by others, the more my style changes.. to the point that I'm not sure if I'm just a "Copy cat" or still doing my own thing.... It's very important to me, to be unique... so this is a constant "issue". 
What is your heart’s greatest desire for your life as an artist?
The 3 biggest daydreams I have are: 1. For my art to somehow make a positive difference in people/animal's lives. 
2. To figure out something "Different/Unique" - to create something "new" out of an unusual material... or just do something different and unexpected with "normal" materials... 
And 3. I daydream about having a well organized studio with at least 2 assistants... and Models and .... (I dream big, what can I say?!)

Tell us where can we find out more about you & your art?
Right now... I guess You Tube : http://www.youtube.com/user/JandrAthala is the only place, really. I am on Facebook, but only have a "Personal Page". I am trying to decide whether or not to start a blog (and if so, which type)... If I ever do create one, I will "announce" it on You Tube.

Thanks so much Phoebe, I looooooooooooooove the idea of at least two assistants - I think I might nick it, one of my imaginary assistants can do all my filming, then the other assistant can do all the editing & latte drinking (bringing me one at the same time of course!) then I can just get on with creating the art...while looking at my imaginary model lol I also get the idea overload thing, but as many people have but it to me at least we have the ideas in the first place! These are the times we have to be thankful that Muse is working for us, even if she does keep us up at night sometimes until we do actually get up and write that idea down lol great interview & remember if you want to be a future featured artist click the TAT lady on the right ---->

....and remember if you want to buy Jennibellie a christmas present there is now two studio assistants & a model on the wish list!!! ;)

3 comments:

  1. awe, ;) Thank you, JennieBellie, for the wonderful intro, and for the the thoughts afterwards. *LOL!!* about your wish list. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Phoebe, I'm reading a book right now about people like us who always have a zillion ideas they want to do/create and it says to keep a journal to write them down in, (in detail, like Leonardo DaVinci did in his notebooks)and that it's a wonderful way to express the the ideas. ("Refuse to Choose" by Barbara Sher). It was wonderful to hear you're already doing that and finding it's a good way to get all the creative ideas out.
    Loved hearing from you, TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... Phoebe, am so proud of you! All the great work you do, inspires creativity in all of us. You rock!xox
    Karen Thimot <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...