Friday 24 May 2013

Gouache! Where have you been??

I've never owned any Gouache...yep true story. It's always something that was on my new art supplies list, always something that I meant to buy, but then I got seduced by something else entirely (yeah, we're all experts on that one right?!)...seems silly that it's taken so long when I think that I like to get my hands on every kind of art media that is possibly out there. 

Then one day last week I was literally thinking 'I want a paint that's fluid as watercolour but has the opacity of acrylic'...DING!!! and the light bulb moment made me go out and get my first set of Gouache paints (...if you've never heard of them before then watercolour consistency but with acrylic density is the best way I can describe them)


To test them I used my A3 sketchbook as the paper will hold up to a certain amount of water without requiring any gesso. I just did a quick sketch in sharpie using the nearest image & very rough lines, as this wasn't a lesson in accuracy, I just wanted something down quick so I could *play*


Then I have to say I went to TOWN! and I also have to say I LOVE GOUACHE! 


I love how it's so blendable, and yet unblendable at the same time. I love how it reactivates so no matter how many layers you put on, you're still only working with the one (though fyi you shouldn't paint it too thickly, like you may with acrylic, or the gouache will crack over time). I love the opacity and how that makes it nearly *instant* to finish a piece if you want to. 

I know it takes time to really date a medium, but I also believe in first impressions & know when I will hit it off with something, so I can't see me divorcing this one ;) ....though come to think of it I've never divorced any kind of art media I've ever met - I guess art must truly be my lifelong love affair =D


...and yes I will do a video with Gouache staring in it soon (if I don't say I know I'll get asked lol) and to those that asked about seeing my new smashbook after my last flip post YES you will get to see that too. I shall do a blog tutorial as I create it so here's a heads up =)

Have a lovely weekend
much love

24 comments:

  1. Hmmn, so much talent.......................care to ship a bit of it over here?
    Its fabulous, and if it didnt work you wouldnt like it do much, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Love Love it! I wish I knew how you got your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been too scared to try Gouache because I don't know how it works. Thanks for the inspiration. I guess it's on my ever increasing to-buy list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been painting in gouache for 40 years. There is nothing quite like it. Once you use it, watercolor is never enough anymore. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used Gouache a lot on my fashion course, it was water colours that I had to make friends with. Love your painting. How did you make the hair to realistic, I can see strands of hair and it looks almost like a photo. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH OH OH !!!! I'm SO glad to see this on the gouache!! I've had them on my list of things to get for EVER so long and just kept putting it off, thinking "Bah! You have watercolours, goofus!" and so I didn't get them. Now they are going back to the top! I absolutely love what you've done with them first out of the gates there -- amazing and beautiful! You rocked them, Jenny!! Looking forward to the video whenever you decide its time. OH and thank you for the heads-up on the new Journal! ,-) Mega-hugs for the weekend, honey!! ((((hugs)))) and share with Sweepie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work Jenny - she looks super! I like gouache for doing magazine/junk journals because it covers but doesn't make the paper thick or sticky. Hope you try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a set of acrylic gouache as well (small little tubes) and its been sitting on my shelf for months as I'm still getting back into painting and drawing. But now, after seeing YOU, one of my arty friends, and three 5 YEAR OLDS use them with glee, I am tempted to drop my current project and play with them. I think I may do that...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! You are so talented. When you do your video, please cover the colors used to make flesh tones. That's a problem for me. Love your work. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a huge fan of goauche... I love its chalkiness and softness.... and it is so wonderfully blendable... have been loving the blog lately... simply awesome... you have created a fabulous blog...xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely!!! Thanks for the tip!
    xxx Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I didn't even know what gouache was! Now I do :D I always thought it was a paste of some kind cos whenever people put down what they used, they put, 'Pitt Pens, goache, fine liner' ...or such like, so to me thatalways read 'paste' lol. We live & learn. Just how I like it! So NOW, I'm ReAlLy looking forward to the video for this. I ditto Diane Ridpath's request on flesh toes please ;) Have a funtabulous weekend Jennie :0) Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for this very interesting post Jenny. I have had gouache paints on my wishlist for a while now. Have never used them and didnt want to spend a small fortune on them and then not like them. However, you have made up my mind for me- I NEED them!!!! I MUST have them!!!! I will BUY them!!!! (asa I have saved up enough money ) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here's a question for you and all your readers/commenters: Can gouache be mixed with acrylic? Can it be used instead of or mixed with acrylic to paint over pages for a journal either paper, cardboard or those greeting card journals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well although it's opaque it is also watery - as like watercolour it requires water to make it paintable, so yes I imagine it can be mixed with acrylic but whether or not you would want to use it as the base/first coat covering cardboard is another matter - remember it always stays soluable so if you want to do any further work on it then it would reactive time and again. So I probably wouldnt myself, but you may not create like i do in which case it might work well for you...bottom line, try it & see =D

      Delete
  15. On my wish list, too, Jenny! But, I always find something else to buy--mostly because I don't know how to use them, or when to use them, or where to use them! Will be waiting for that video! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your experience with gouache. I've sort of thought about trying it but just never did. Now I want to for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are sincerely trouble! I've been using acylics anytime I painted fun girls and faces for ages. Never quite got to "liking" pencils and blenders, etc. Same with crayons. I canNOT wait to get some. Thanks for convincing me I have to go get something new.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The picture is beautiful. I've played with gouche and love it. Can't wait to see the other projects you create with it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Jennie! I saw your comment on my blog about the Sticky Journals. Would you like to do a guest post about how you use stickers in your art journaling?

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMGoshhh beautiful "quick doodle" haha Now I am very interested in this Gouche!

    Sarah| Beauty and Lemonade xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I bought the set and just got it today... I tested the colors out on a page just to see the how vibrant they are. They took a bit more time to dry than I anticipated but I didn't thin them out too much... straight from the pan to the paper. I'm looking forward to playing with them!!!! Thanks for the recommendation... I've been wanting to try them out for awhile now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really want to try gouche too!! Opaque is good...but may I ask...is it real pliable like watercolor...where you can lift it up if you want to rid of some of it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...