Tuesday 18 June 2013

Tell All Tuesday ~ Featured Artist: Diana Gonzalez

Hi guys ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH how is it Tuesday already?! I swear there's some conspiracy going on here lol 
I've been crazy-busy lately, with lots of things going off in lots of pies, but I'll update you on that later (I know, such a tease right?!) because this is a TAT post! YAY! I have another fabulous artist to introduce to you, her name is Diana so pull up a pew and enjoy =)

Tell us a little bit about yourself & what kind of artist you are.
Well, I suppose I am a mixed media artist. I call myself an outsider artist, because that is what I am. For those who do not know, outsider art, is a type of art created by a person who is self-taught, and just spontaneously decides to start painting, which is sort of how it worked for me. I have been drawing and writing all my life, but I stopped drawing after not being encouraged in art as a child.


What is the biggest challenge you personally face as an artist and how do you overcome it?
In the words of my idol (Sylvia Plath), “The greatest enemy of creativity is self doubt.” That is my problem. This comes up for a few reasons: One, is that my husband is a classically trained artist who is very very talented. This being so, he and I have many friends who are also classically trained and just amazingly talented. This creates a lot of self-doubt in me.

In general, I overcome this by writing. The only thing that helps me is my writing, sometimes. I may not be Picasso, but I can write a poem. The other thing that helps me is realizing that I am not put on this earth to attempt at being Frida Kahlo, or Sylvia Plath. I doubt that either of these two pioneers thought that of themselves. We are put on this earth to live and express our inner selves through our medium of choice. That being said, we all have our own style and our own preference. It is not my desire to become a legend, my only desire in life, is that I leave a positive example to my daughters of what a woman can achieve. When you realize what your goals are, stick to them. Keep them in your mind, and when you are taunted with doubt, meditate on your goals and realize you can do anything you set your mind to.


What do you most wish your art to achieve?
My poetry is written as an expression of who I am inside, and how I see the world. It is my wish that in reading my poetry, you can see the world in a different way, and see life through my eyes.

My art is mostly folk art girls that I paint in attempts to recapture the innocence I lost as a child. My childhood was taken from me at an early age in the name of discipline, religion and order, and so when I paint these girls, I feel happy.


Do you ever lose your mojo, and if so, how do you get it back?
The best method for my creativity is to make it a routine. I work at my art daily. Even when I don’t feel it, I do it anyway. I just move to another form of creativity. I will make jewelry, or spin yarn, or sew. Then I am keeping my creative wheels turning, and still giving my visual art a break. Then when you work at it, and keep going, you get to what is called in Kundalini Yoga as “the other side” which is where healing begins, where you can achieve what you hope for in your art. You don’t need a how to book on art healing. Your art is like a part of your body: if it is bruised, it heals itself, when it is fed properly.


Tell us where can we find out more about you & your art?
You can find me at: 

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely work and thoughts Diana, I have to say I'm 100% behind you about making creativity a routine, that's certainly my secret to being creatively productive. For example with my hectic days lately I've been making paper beads like crazy (you may have spotted this if you follow my arty updates on facebook) not because I need more beads, or that they are for a particular project, it's just that I don't have the time to sit for hours at my art table and I want to do something creative during what little downtime I have (plus beads are perfect for doing in front of the tele!). 

Spoiler Alert: watch out next week for a paper bead update, I'm getting bombarded with qus every time I show a hint of a paper bead lol so perhaps you can guess what's coming??? Well...wait and see ;)

Do you want to be a TAT champion??
To be featured email me or find all the details here =)

Much love

6 comments:

  1. Diana I think you art is beautiful and I bet you are a wonderful inspiration to your daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice interview! How cool it must be to be married to a formal artist....and yet I can see how frustrating that can be. Thank God you are a writer! Writing is so clarifying!! Wonderful interview! Good Luck to you Diana :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful interview with a wonderful artist! I can relate to Diana on so many levels!! Thanks for sharing!! Love her colorful work and look forward to checking out her poetry!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved the interview and was inspired. being self-taught I also sometimes think I am wasting my time making art and get quite despondent. this interview encouraged me to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to meet you Diana. I think you are so brave, despite the ole self doubt, and just DO YOU! There is nothing more courageous than that. I think you are a terrific artist and those earrings are super cute!. I'll be checking out your shope.

    Chow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very cool to be here in Brasil, checking out one of my favorite UK bloggers, to see this post from Diana...an artist I know from my home town of New Yawk City...great interview...great to see her featured here!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...